Australia news live: NSW Aboriginal deaths in custody inquiry recommends sweeping reforms; dance squad blasts ABC over navy twerking coverage | Australia news
Good day! Let’s get into that in a moment. Yesterday I told you that the Christchurch Mosque terrorist had asked the New Zealand Supreme Court for a judicial review of his detention conditions.
Today we hear that he did not appear in court. AAP was there – here’s what they said:
The Christchurch mosque terrorist failed to report to a judicial review hearing to gain access to outside information.
The New Zealand Supreme Court should hear a complaint from Australians Brenton Tarrant Thursday morning just for him to retire.
The Australian had requested a judicial review of his detention conditions and the expulsion of the New Zealand government as a terrorist entity.
The 30-year-old is serving a life sentence without parole and the review would not have affected his sentence.
A minute published by the Supreme Court Geoffrey Venning After the abandoned hearing, Tarrant wanted his access to the news and mail to be checked.
Justice Venning wrote:
Mr Tarrant informed prison authorities this morning that he had a complaint about lack of access to documents and that he wanted the conference to be postponed.
If Mr. Tarrant does not want to attend, he cannot be forced.
The hearing was scheduled for 9:00 a.m. NZDT. New Zealand’s worst modern mass murderer took a phone call from prison.
Tarrant is being held in isolation in the Prisoners of Extreme Risk Unit at Paremoremo Prison in Auckland, with great care and high costs from the New Zealand authorities.
Thursday’s hearing, first requested by Tarrant in February, was intended to be a preliminary assessment of the claims that Judge Venning would use to determine an appropriate path forward.
The court has left the door open for Tarrant to resume his claim if he so wishes.
Thursday’s no-show isn’t the first time he’s taking unpredictable legal action.
In October 2019, he dropped an offer to relocate his trial to Auckland in what has been interpreted by many as an attempt to play with the emotions of the victims of his attack.
In March of last year, he unexpectedly changed his plea to guilty and saved the bereaved community from a lengthy process.
This week’s hearing was scheduled for the first week of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
Rosemary Omar, whose son Tariq was murdered by Tarrant in the Al Noor Mosque, told Radio NZ the timing was hurtful and likely part of a game of cat and mouse.
Tarrant was convicted last August of 51 atrocities committed in March 2019 on 51 murder cases.